Originally founded as an oyster warehouse in 1851 by a young fishmonger, John Scott, ‘Scott’s Oyster Rooms’ rapidly evolved into Mayfair’s now infamous British seafood restaurant and oyster bar.
The oyster warehouse was housed in Haymarket’s Coventry Street for over one hundred years until 1967, before relocating to 20 Mount Street – where the restaurant still remains to this day.
Having quickly become established as one of the most elegant and alluring restaurants in London, Scott’s has welcomed film stars, politicians and writers through the decades; Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, was often seen at Scott’s in the 1950s, and it was here that he reportedly discovered the dry martini ‘shaken not stirred’.
The restaurant also featured in a moment of movie history in the film The Great Escape, where it was described as being two POWs’ ‘dream destination’ – and the first place they wished to dine in when the war was over.
In 2005, Richard Caring acquired Caprice Holdings, and later that year purchased Scott’s Mayfair, which at the time, was in need of some love and attention. After an extensive refurbishment by Martin Brudnizki Design Studio, Scott’s returned to its former glory as the finest fish restaurant in London, and reopened to critical acclaim in November 2006.